Friday, July 08, 2005

Today I will be talking about my business and what he means to me.

3 years ago, when the .com bubble collapsed, I was fired from the hi-tech company I was working for as a sales coordinator.
However, I wasn't sad or anything I just thought it could be a great opportunity for me to start my own business.

I always wanted my own small business but I didn’t have the nerves to leave a secure job with good salary because the mortgage has to be paid!
I was exited, finally, I could open my own gift shop as I always wanted.
I read every book about starting your own business, I went to lectures and courses and I stated to collect information regarding opening a gift shop.

Gradually, I got discouraged, the economy went down, the Intifada started, business went bankrupt, and people didn’t have money for food, never the less for gifts. So my dream of having my own business was impossible to reach.

I was so depressed about the all situation that I even tried to find a new job and I couldn’t because every day some business went down and the unemployment was so high that it if you were unemployed you were in good company.

I lost my faith in Israel, I hated this country. I gave her 2 years from my life in the army, I worked my butt off ever since I was 21 and now what???
My husband and me, even considered of leaving the country - why should we suffer here, we could have better life some place else with no war, no dead people and with no economy problems.

Two years later I had my first born child - Noy and she changed my point of view about everything. I started to see the beautiful things around me, thing I forget exciting.

One day I went looking for a gift for my mom's birthday and I saw all those artists with their great hand made items. Items I didn’t see any where in the world (and I traveled a lot). I thought to my self - hey, we got amazing artists with gorgeous stuff so why don’t we share it with the whole world. If the world won’t come to us, let us bring ourselves to the world.
And that is how I started my omanot.com business.
I personally selected every artist and every item displayed in my website.

Omanot.com (and of course my baby) reminded me all the great things in Israel, our special atmosphere, historical places, great stories and amazing people.
All items in my website, reflecting the uniqueness of our country.

I can just hope that you will be able to feel this remarkable feeling regarding our items, as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home